Saturday, September 24, 2011

I Love One Who Loves Unconditionally

Hello all!
I've had one of those weeks that changes everything. Well, actually, nothing really happened. One minute I'm at the bookstore...browsing through musty old books... and then, I'm sitting in the floor overwhelmed with despair. What could have caused this you ask? Well, it was the Christian section of the store.
Let me back up. Start from the beginning.
On my days off, I often peruse the bookstore by my house. I don't always buy but I like to go there because it calms me. This Wednesday I was doing my usual rounds when I came across the Bible section. If you know me, you know I have a weakness for Bibles. I just like them. And, more often than not, I find myself buying them. After a few months, I inevitably come across someone who needs one and then I pass it on (I always hope to keep it in the beginning).
On this particular evening, I was searching for something to calm my spirit. For reasons I did not understand, I was restless. Nothing was satisfying and after being there for two hours, I had nothing.
As I sat there, on the floor in the musty bookstore, I realized that I was looking for a sign. A reason for being.
I kept walking the isles- over and over again. Hoping. Waiting.
If you have a common name, what I am about to tell you will mean nothing to you but to me, it was the greatest gift. I came across one of those books that have the name cards in it with a scripture and an explanation of your name. I didn't expect to find mine in there- my name is never there- but I did. It said, Roxanne "Dawn of the day."
I already knew this about my name. I knew that my name meant the morning and it seemed to fit me. If I am anything, it's a morning person. A sunrise is one of the greatest sights a person can witness.
Anyway, it wasn't the explanation that caught me. No, it was the scripture.
It said, Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness. Lamentations 3: 22-23.

I sat down in the floor and cried. I wept. You see, this has always been one of my favored scriptures.
It was in this moment that I realized that nothing is an accident with God. all the nasty, horrible things that plague life are the very things that bring about the things that are beautiful. It's how you handle those situations, it's how you love God, others, yourself, and this life that makes the difference.
Micah 7:8 Rejoice not against me, O mine enemy. When I fall, I shall arise. When I sit in darkness, the Lord shall be a light unto me.
And, Job, my friend, my comfort- If you can live a life for the Lord with all that you suffered, then I can as well.
And Peter was right- to suffer is a privilege. I only hope that I can continue to persevere and wait for the day that He comes back - for the day that I can crawl, head down and heart beating madly, to kiss His feet.
Great is the faithfulness of God.
Great is He who comforts one such as me.

No comments: