Monday, June 15, 2009

You'd Think the World Would Be Sick of Silly Love Songs

If only life was like a Jane Austen novel. Girl meets boy, boy and girl quarrel, boy falls for girl, girl falls for boy, and then after a period of adversity- they marry. And all is right in the world.
But life isn't a book and happiness is what you make it. I will admit this only once (and luckily he doesn't read my blog) but John Mark was right. I should have given up silly love stories years ago. What nonsense!
Okay, I admit. I will still read Jane. She's my all time favorite. However, I am through waiting for something that isn't there.
To be quite honest, relationships are a lot of work. I am in no place to even begin to understand how to navigate those waters but that doesn't stop the sporadic desire to have one. Even now I feel no want of one but instead a small pricking in my subconscious and occasional musings that one would be a pleasant addition to my life.
Re-read what I just wrote-- "a pleasant addition?" Obviously I am not ready. Good thing because there is really no one I want.
So, here is my question: How does one know when they are ready for something that big to happen in their life? Do we ever know or does it just one day make sense?
I was speaking with my grandmother about it today and she informed me that when I met someone all the nonsense and confusion would fade into the background.
I keep trying to paint that picture in my head. All I get are images from Lori Wick and Deanne Gist novels. Life is not like that.
I am giggling at the thought of me falling (literally) into some strangers arms only to find he's "the one."
Oh JM, you were so right.
And I feel utterly ridiculous.
P.S. Jessy, I hope you find this entry to be less depressing than my recent themes. I had a serious giggle fest writing it. It makes me want to write fiction. If I ever make that happen, I'll let you know.
Although now that I think of it, the possibility of me falling into someone's arms isn't that ridiculous considering my gravity impaired tendencies!!! :O

2 comments:

Jessica Wynn said...

Roxie,

I do find this post less depressing =] Strange, I was wondering when one would know they were ready for such a big thing in their life. Trinity and Caleb, who are now teaching a singles' class/meeting, said that every person's readiness comes at a different time. How confusing is that? But I guess life wouldn't be so brilliant if we had a strict mold to go by. If every romance was the same, it wouldn't be much of a romance.

-Jess

Roxie said...

Yes, and further your romance might not be story book but... it is the best possible one for you. I have heard my mom tell me of her romance with my dad many, many times. And that was real love regardless of the ending result.
Like I said in the blog, relationships are a lot of work and sometimes people think getting married is the end of that work.
I don't want to get involved with someone and make such a commitment if I don't understand fully what it means to commit to some someone completely.
I do know that waiting is best for me but it might not be best for someone else.
Like you said, it is confusing but It'll be worth it in the end--even if you have to wait a bit longer than your want to find the one that'll be forever.
:)
And... well, think of all the wonderful friendships and work you can do while you are being molded and shaped to be that woman he needs... it's kind of awesome.
Roxie