Thursday, July 17, 2008

I Kissed Dating Goodbye

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -C.S. Lewis


I am rereading a book by Joshua Harris called I Kissed Dating Goodbye. It is incredible! I think that I have been using my time as a single young adult in all the wrong ways. No, I haven't been pining and hoping to be in a relationship- actually, it's the last thing I want right now. However, there are so many things that I can do with this time for the kingdom of God. It's ridiculous that I haven't realized this before and now that I have, I am disappointed in all the time that I have wasted doing- what? Watching too many movies and sleeping in late on Saturdays? Hardly the noble things of God.
In April, I volunteered at a soup kitchen in Cleveland. Those people are part of the kingdom. I remember telling myself that I wanted to come back and do this again. I wanted to give some amount of hope to these lost souls. To help them find Christ. I never did.
The Bible tells us to watch over the widows and the orphans. There were many there. There were men there who do not know the love of Christ. Who probably did not know the love of another human being. And children who probably feared their mothers more than respected or loved them. And I'm thinking, What have I done to help these people? Absolutely nothing! The amount of money I spend on myself is probably more money than they have seen on months.
I am looking at myself and seeing so many flaws, so many things that I must fix before I can be anything like what God expects of me. I should be using my time to spark a new flame of hope inside the hearts of those who have nothing left.
I may not be a teen statistic- I may not have a baby that I had in high school or a dropout. BUT I am in no position to say that I am living the way that God wants me to live. Saying that I am a Christian and doing absolutely nothing to help the community or my fellow brethren does not show me as the chosen bride of Christ. Instead, it shows how self-righteous and hypocritical I really am.

I am not writing this to anyone but myself. I know what I need to do to be who God has called me to be.

Going to Ukraine and learning that God is not a priority and teen pregnancies are encouraged. To find that marriage is almost unheard of and that having sex as a teenager is unquestionably accepted as the norm is not okay. Looking around me I find that even as young adult Christian men and women we are flirting with all the same boundaries yet we do not even see it.
What makes us different? What do nonChristians see when they look at us?

I do not think we would like what we hear most of the time.

And I do not think that I can be this way any longer. I think that its time to start working for the kingdom and bringing others into his Glory.

2 comments:

Sierra said...

basically, i agree totally. this book changed my life.. for real. you should read my blog on it.. it's like the first one i wrote.. love ya

Nathan L. said...

If you like "I Kissed Dating Goodbye", you should definately read "Boy Meets Girl" also by Joshua Harris"

Its the book he wrote after he got married. Its similar to the first in a way, but very different. I think during the first book he was still getting over a bad relationship, but in the second he had a little clearer view on things.