Sunday, January 17, 2010

Required Reading: 101


Books are like old friends that never tire of your company, never say a harsh word to you, and are always available when you need them. If I have a good book, I'm set. I can sit for hours on end and just read.. imagine.. live. I know it may seem ridiculous to some of you who don't read but I have always found the written word to be an inspiration and joy to my life. I am laying in my bed now, ready to call it a night, and as I glance around my room I find comfort in my books. A random book on the floor, a couple by the bed, my Bible, journal and a short novel on my stand, my book cases- all of these make me feel comfortable and at ease.
Recently, I have found that I really like reading about Jesus' life. He was actually pretty amazing- and quite sarcastic when he wanted to be. I had this idea about the Bible- it was required reading, but it couldn't be fun. Boy, did God show me how wrong I was. I literally laughed at some of the things Jesus did to those Pharisees- He even insulted their clothing.
What I am trying to say is that I have found that just because you aren't particularly fond of a book at the beginning, it does not mean that you should stop trying to read it.
So, kudos Jesus for being pretty radical. And obviously, a source of inspiration to me- to keep going in the face or adversity. (And while I'm at it, I think I'll cause a stir of my own!)
Books are meant to nourish.
Enjoy.

2 comments:

Jessica Wynn said...

I heart you.

I am fasting books (except the Bible) this January.

I feel like I'm going to die.

Something only you would understand. :)

Roxie said...

Jessy,
You are going to do amazing. Just press through the parts you don't enjoy and let God show you the wonderful things in His word. Jesus had quite the personality. :D
I love you!
Persevere. You've only got a week to go!