Tuesday, June 17, 2008

For My Pappaw

My grandfather died last night. He crashed his truck into a bridge. And that was his favorite truck. I cannot tell you how I feel right now. Honestly, there are no words. My grandpa was one of the few people who understood me and accepted me for who I am. He wasn't home on Father's Day when I came by the house. And I never got to see him. And now he is gone. I want him back. I want to go to my grandmother's house and find him sitting on the porch drinking a diet rite talking to my grandmother or working on his latest project. When I came by on Sunday he was out getting a new part for his lawn mower that he was working on. And today I was thinking to myself, "Who is going to fix it now?"
I remember picking pecans off the tree and cracking them open with my pap and eating them while lounging in the yard. I remember going to the grocery store with him and shifting gears in the truck and I remember helping him chop and load wood into the barn for the winter. My grandpa worked hard. And he was such an important part of my life.
And I remember how he loved us. He truly loved us.

And I miss him so much.

No comments: