Thursday, September 18, 2008

Hats off to Esther Libbey

Since joining the world of bloggers, I have noticed that I am less stressed. I wonder why this is? Not only do I do this "blog thing" but I actively journal. I have done this for years and my old entries are full of laments about being misunderstood and emotionally abused by my family- I was such a dramatic child. I can hear the injured feelings and hurt pride in those journals and feel the pain afresh. Even to this day. At twelve years old one can hardly be expected to understand this crazy thing we call life. I sure did not.
One of the major things I discovered was that my journals show a change in social interaction and you can see it in my writing style and language. And I will tell you why.
I started attending this church, some of you many know it, called Miracle Deliverance Tabernacle. It was this small church back in the wilderness and I did not want to be there. Funny thing happened though.
I met Esther Libbey.
I think she may have saw me as a project or some kind of lost cause that she wanted to take up but regardless- She decided I needed social interaction. I had been at the church for a year when her family started attending full-time. I really didn't speak to anyone.
I can remember pretty vividly when I became friends with the other teens and how much I kind of blossomed under their laughter and odd wit. (Sorry guys, I don't really know how to explain your jokes!)
Now, I can be friends with anyone and I can talk to anyone (almost anyone). I love people and I love helping others. However, I wonders sometimes if I would have done any of things things I have done if it hadn't been for the forced interaction that she made me endure. Yes, I say endure because I would go home exhausted from just trying to make friends- it was really tough for me to overcome my aloofness and loner tendencies. But I just wanted to write this blog as a sort of tribute of thanks to my very good friend, Esther. Thanks for rocking my boat and making me hang out. It probably saved my life.
One question to leave you with:
What has God been asking you do that you have felt reluctant to accomplish? Reaching out to someone may seem burdensome or frightening but what will the outcome be if you ignore his prodding?

2 comments:

Esther said...

Can not believe I've not posted a coment here.

My name in the post. Happiness. I feel so loved.

I miss you.

We should catch up sometime.

I did not think you would be a lost cause. I just knew it would take some time.

Roxie said...

I know that. I think. LOl. I am glad we became friends though. Give me a call and we'll hang out. Actually any saturday would be great as long as it's before five pm.
Love ya!
Roxie