Sunday, August 10, 2008

Why Can't Life Be Like a Jane Austen Novel?

Why can't life be like a Jane Austen novel? I mean, she makes romance seem so wonderful. The hero is always so gallant and true. Never deceitful and always incredibly magnificent. The heroine is beautiful, charming, gracious and the object of every man's ardent affection. And then she marries the most noble and honorable man in the story. Every time I read one of her novels I sigh. I just fall completely apart with this strange longing. I am too young to be wanting this kind of forever. Jane Austen is a wonderful author, but sometimes I wonder at my sanity for reading her books. I just finished watching the movie adaptation of Northanger Abbey and Persuasion.

However, Jane Austen will remain my favorite author for always.

2 comments:

Jessica Wynn said...

I have never read a Jane Austen novel. I always tell myself I could (and will,I mean) have a romance that'll blow Jane Austen books out of the water. I really don't like the song "Average Girl" by Barlow Girl, but there's one line I like to mumble quietly to myself. It simply says, "...'Cause God is writing my love story.." In my opinon, God is a much better author than Jane Austen. =](Even with the 1st statement.)

Roxie said...

Of course, I completely agree with that.. I was just have one of those 'I pity myself and my singleness days'-- Don't worry I am much better now. Jane Austen is my favorite writer and I do recommend her to you (if you are leerly of reading her now, wait til you're married and already have your perfect love story (lol) but she is great!. Anyway, I am a big advocate of waiting on Jesus myself.. but we all stumble, right? :) Thanks for the perspective. And now I know not to read Jane and watch her movies in the same night. It makes me crazy!