Monday, October 27, 2008

North and South


I am reading a novel called North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. No, it is not a modern day piece of fiction without morals or values as you would expect of today's authors. This book was written in 1855 so it is full of gentlemen and ladies who want to help those less fortunate and helpless. I am quite in love with this book because the author was the daughter of a minister and was taught to be benevolent and she was educated by her relations. So, all in all it is completely well rounded. The hero in the book is incredible and he really doesn't do what most would term heroic. He takes care of his mother and provides for her, works extremely hard, and falls in love with the heroine. Pretty normal stuff. But completely wonderful and honorable all the same. It is the depth of his love for her that really touched me. The hero, John Thornton, falls in love with Margaret Hale, the daughter of a minister. He respects her and her opinion on all matters. It is quite fantastic. I have not finished the book as of yet but I feel that it will be soon that I will. I have, of course, watched the movie version and liked it immensely. (However, I usually do not watch the movie first but I had no idea at the time that it was based off a novel)

The image is from the popular BBC version (which I HIGHLY recommend).

No comments: